Saturday, February 16, 2008

Magnetic Fields - Somerville Theater 2/15/08

Picture Book

Three Way!

Some people do not want Distortion.

On 2/15/08 Magnetic Fields played the Somerville Theater... the first song...

See them on their big, bright screen, tan and blonde and seventeen. Eating nonfood keeps them mean, but they're young forever. If they must grow up, they marry dukes and earls. I hate California girls. They ain't broke, so they put on airs, the faux folk sans derrieres. They breathe coke and they have affairs with each passing rock star. They come on like squares, then get off like squirrels. I hate California girls. Looking down their perfect noses at me and my kind, do they think we won't--well, nevermind. Laughing through their perfect teeth at everyone I know, do they think we won't get up and go? So I have planned my grand attacks. I will stand behind their backs with my brand-new battle ax. Then they will taste my wrath. They will hear me say, as the pavement whirls, "I hate California girls..."

and then...

You told me you loved me. I know where and when. Come sunrise, surprise surprise, the joke's on me again. I know you don't love me. You know I don't care. Keep it hidden better. Did I say the world was fair? I thought I was just the guy for you and it would never end. I thought we were supposed to be like glue. I thought you were my boyfriend. Love or not, I've always got ten guys on whom I can depend, and if you're not mine, one less is nine; get wise. I thought you were my boyfriend. I just hope you're happy stringing me along. While you're stringing, I'm here singing this, my saddest song. I wish I could see you. I wish I could sleep. Should I freak out? Should I seek out someone I could keep? I wanted you tonight. I walked around a lot, wishing you were here to keep me from sleeping with anyone who might want me, or even not. Some guys have a beer and they'll do anything, anything...

and then...

The book of love is long and boring. No one can lift the damn thing. It's full of charts and facts and figures and instructions for dancing. But I love it when you read to me, and you can read me anything. The book of love has music in it. In fact, that's where music comes from. Some of it is just transcendental. Some of it is just really dumb. But I love it when you sing to me, and you can sing me anything. The book of love is long and boring and written very long ago. It's full of flowers and heart-shaped boxes and things we're all to young to know. But I love it when you give me things, and you ought to give me wedding rings.

Who could ask for more? Not I. The word impeccable comes to mind and I realize I badly need some sleep.

No comments: